Frequently Asked Questions

I am interested in participating in Mercer On Mission, what do I need to do?

Look at the Website and decide which programs you are interested in, fill out the online application and submit it. 

When will I hear if I am accepted into one of the Mercer On Mission programs?

Your online application is forwarded to the appropriate faculty for review and selection. As soon as a decision is made you will be notified. These decisions are usually finalized in late December or in early January, though some notices of acceptance are sent out earlier.

What happens if I am not selected for my first choice?

Your application is returned to the Mercer On Mission office and forwarded to your 2ND and 3rd choice programs.

I was accepted into one of the MOM programs, now what do I do?

  1. Register with TerraDotta (link will be emailed to you) and go to the Bursar's office to pay your $500 deposit and $75 study abroad fee. 
  2. If you do not have a passport, apply for one immediately. This process takes between 12 to 16 weeks to complete. Your airline ticket cannot be purchased until we have the information on your passport.
  3.  Visit the to learn important safety and security information about the country where you will be traveling.

How do I make my deposit and Study Abraod Fee payment?

  • Go to MyMercer and sign in
  • Select 'make payment'
  • Select 'current charges' (a screen will populate with the semesters on the left hand side and boxes to fill in the amount on the right)
  • Pay $575 for Summer (year of travel); (You will not see a charge for the deposit and study abroad fee)
  • Choose payment method, enter information requested and submit

An official at the bursar’s office will code the deposit and study abroad fee. If you want to ensure the Bursar’s office codes it correctly, you may call them at 478-301-1111.

***Please note: If you have a past due balance on your account, the deposit will apply to that balance first. The MOM office cannot consider a deposit paid until it is coded to MOM. So before you make the deposit payment, make sure you have contacted the Bursar to ensure the balance on your account is taken care of.

Can I participate in MOM after I have graduated?

Mercer On Mission is designed for rising sophomores, juniors and seniors.  If open spaces are available after all returning students have been chosen, then graduating seniors may be considered.  If you are a graduating senior, you will need to re-enroll as a non-degree seeking student.

Can graduate students participate in the MOM program?

Currently, there are a few spaces in some of the programs for students enrolled in graduate school at Mercer.  Please check with the Mercer On Mission office to learn more about programs that include graduate students.

How much will my cost be?

Students will be required to pay for at least 6 hours of summer tuition.  (Your $500 deposit will be applied towards your tuition payment.)  A study abroad fee of $75, passport fee, vaccination fee, 2 weeks on-campus housing (if needed) $25 per night, food while taking classes on campus.

**** The rates stated above are approximate and may be different from actual charge.

Will my financial aid cover the tuition cost?

All financial aid packages are structured differently. Call the Student Financial Planning office at (478) 301-2670 to discuss your particular financial aid package to determine if it is applicable to Mercer On Mission.

What are the dates for my Mercer On Mission program?

Individual MOM programs run on varying schedules. Most Mercer On Mission programs take place during the first session of summer school, which means that they can begin no sooner than the Monday after graduation and conclude no later than June 30. Some MOM programs might take place during the second session of summer school, which means late June through early August.

How long is each Mercer On Mission program?

Each program is designed to be a five week experience. Three weeks are spent abroad. Two of those weeks are spent on campus doing coursework and making preparations. 

I need housing while on campus taking classes. How do I arrange housing?

Call the Housing and Resident Life office at (478) 301-2478 to arrange housing.

What happens if I withdraw from the Mercer On Mission program?

Immediately contact the Mercer On Mission office at (478) 301-2992. Please remember that you cannot withdraw from courses once the travel component has begun. Also, if you withdraw, you are responsible for any unrecoverable expenses that were purchased on your behalf.

What about my deposit?

The $500 deposit and the $75 study abroad fee are non-refundable.

Do I have any other responsibilities?

You are financially responsible for any non-recoverable program expenses (airfare, hotel deposits) that have been incurred on your behalf after you make your deposit and prior to your notification of withdrawal.

Do all trips depart from and return to the Atlanta airport?

Yes. You are responsible for your transportation to and from the Atlanta airport. 

Can I change my travel itinerary?

No student is permitted to divert from the group travel itinerary. There are several reasons for this. Most importantly, we are able to keep airfare low by buying tickets at a group rate. This requires all members of the group to travel together for the entire itinerary.

Do I have to sign up for courses?

Yes. Mercer On Mission is a service learning program that requires students to be enrolled in at least 6 hours of coursework. These will be high quality academic courses that are an essential part of the Mercer On Mission experience. All students will receive grades that will be applied to their Mercer transcript. No S/U grades are permitted. No student may withdraw from MOM courses once the travel portion of the program has begun.

Do I need to enroll myself in the courses?

No. The Registrar will enroll you in courses for your program. An email will be sent out to accepted students with the steps to take to select courses. You will be registered for one class from each of the faculty.

What vaccinations do I need to travel?

Vaccinations depend on several variables, including your destination and your own particular medical profile. It is best to contact your private physician or the county health department to find out what vaccinations you need.

I have a medical condition, what should I do?

First discuss your MOM travel plans with your physician to determine if it is appropriate for you to participate. As you discuss this with your physician, please indicate you will be traveling to a third world country where access to electricity may be irregular, and the climate may be hot and humid. You may be required to do a substantial amount of walking or physical labor. You may not have immediate access to advanced medical care.

Second, inform your faculty members in your program of any medical condition that may require special accommodation. This information will be held in strictest confidence between you and the faculty members. 

What does the student insurance cover?

The student insurance covers emergency evacuation for medical or safety reasons. It is not a medical insurance policy. You are advised to check your personal insurance policy coverage for international travel.