Vietnam - Engineering
An estimated 100,000 amputees are currently living in Vietnam, with an additional 2,000 men, women and children losing limbs each year due to the 2.2 million unexploded ordnance and landmines left over from the Vietnam War. Since 2009, the Mercer On Mission Vietnam program has fit more than 10,000 amputees. All that is keeping us from helping more amputees to walk again is funding. You can help. Each prosthetic leg costs about $250. All gifts raised through this site go to materials to make more prosthetics.
You can make a gift online here.
- Only 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students will be considered.
- Passport (not expiring before November 2021) or physical copy of passport picture page or physical proof of passport application is required at the time of interview.
- October 15th, 2020: Application opens
- Application deadline - January 22nd, 2021
- TBD: Interviews
*Only 72 slots of interview are available on a first come first serve basis.
- TBD: Notifications of Conditional Acceptance
- TBD: Deadline for Deposit and TerraDotta Sign up
For Non-engineering Students:
- EGR BME 291: "Prosthetic Design, Biomechanics of Amputees, and Clinical Fitting of Prosthetics"
- EGR BME 292: “Instrumentation For Clinical Fitting Prostheses”
For Engineering Students:
- EGR BME 491/591: "Prosthetic Design, Biomechanics of Amputees, and Clinical Fitting of Prosthetics"
- EGR BME 492/592: “Instrumentation For Clinical Fitting Prostheses”
For Graduate Engineering Students:
- EGR BME 691: “Advanced Orthopedic Rehabilitation – Clinical Fitting of Orthopedic Braces”
- Training classes: May 12th – May 26th, 2021
- Mission dates:
- Team 1: May 29th – June 23rd, 2021
- Team 2: June 23rd – July 18th, 2021
- Dr. Ha Van Vo, Eminent Scholar & Distinguish University Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Dr. Ed O’Brien, Professor & Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Dr. Richard Kunz, Adjunct Professor for Mercer On Mission
- Fitting the Mercer Universal Prostheses for amputees
- Fitting orthotic braces for children with disability
- Teaching and training patients to walk with the prosthetic devices
- Data collection for amputee gait using EMG and 3D Gait Analysis system
- Triage patients. Assist in treating orthopedic patients.
- Physical therapy for patients' rehabilitation
- Assist pharmacists in dispensing medication.
- Expose Mercer students to Vietnamese culture through sightseeing and attending one or more cultural programs during the stay
- Charity work with poor and needy: distribution of food and medications (tentative)
Dr. O’Brien: OBRIEN_EM@mercer.edu or 478.301.2212
Dr. Vo: Vo_hv@mercer.edu, or 478.301.2454
For more information, e-mail MercerOnMission@mercer.edu or call (478) 301-2992.