Vietnam - Engineering
EGR 291/BME 491/591: "Prosthetic Design, Biomechanics of Amputees, and Clinical Fitting of Prosthetics"
- EGR 292/BME 492/592: "Instrumentation and Fitting for Prosthetics"
***Students will register for one class from Dr. Vo and one class from Dr. Kunz.
Dr. Richard Kunz, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Ha Van Vo, Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Co-teaching: Dr. Ed O'Brien, Professor and Chair, Biomedical Engineering; Dr. Lawrence Webb, Traumatologist/Orthopedic Surgeon, The Medical Center of Center Georgia
Service Project Description:
- Fitting the Mercer Universal Prostheses for amputees
- Teaching and training patients to walk with the prosthetic devices
- Follow-up on patients during 1 to 2 weeks of occupational training
- Data collection for each patient during the training period using F-scan system
- Expose Mercer students to Vietnamese culture through sightseeing and attending one or more cultural programs during the stay
- Visit one or more local hospitals in Vietnam
- Treating orthopedic patients
- Physical therapy for patients' rehabilitation
- Charity work with poor and needy: distribution of food and medications.
Tentative Excursion: Local tours during weekends
Tentative Travel Dates: June 1 – June 24
For more information, e-mail MercerOnMission@mercer.edu or call (478) 301-2992.