Vietnam - Engineering
- EGR 292/BME 492: "Prosthetic Design, Biomechanics of Amputees, and Clinical Fitting of Prosthetics"
- EGR 291/BME 491: "Instrumentation for Fitting Prosthetics"
***Students will register for one class from Dr. Sumner and one class from Dr. Vo.
- Dr. Loren Sumner, Associate Professor and Chair, Mechanical Engineering
- Dr. Ha Van Vo, Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Co-teaching: Dr. Lawrence Webb, Traumatologist/Orthopedic Surgeon, The Medical Center of Center Georgia
Service Project Description:
- Fitting the Mercer Universal Prostheses for amputees
- Teaching and training patients to walk with the prosthetic devices
- Follow-up on patients during 1 to 2 weeks of occupational training
- Data collection for each patient during the training period using F-scan system
- Expose Mercer students to Vietnamese culture through sightseeing and attending one or more cultural programs during the stay
- Visit one or more local hospitals in Vietnam
- Treating orthopedic patients
- Physical therapy for patients' rehabilitation
- Charity work with poor and needy: distribution of food and medications.
Tentative Excursion: Local tours during weekends
Tentative Travel Dates: June 1 – June 24
For more information, e-mail MercerOnMission@mercer.edu or call (478) 301-2992.