MERCER ON MISSION PROPOSAL SUBMISSION FOR 2017
1.FACULTY: Identify faculty leaders
a. Name________________________________________ Dept./School_____________________________________
b. Are the faculty qualified by SACS standards to teach these courses?__________________
2. LOCATION: Location of international service site (Preference is given to programs that stay situated in a single location.)
a. Where will your project be located? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
b. Who is your in-country partner?_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
c. Are there potential safety or security concerns?If so, please explain.____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3.SERVICE PROJECT (limit of 500 to 700 words):
a. Describe your service project.
- What problem will your project address?· Explain how your project will provide an effective response.
b. How will your project draw upon the intellectual and professional capacities of the university to make an innovative and informed response to the problem?(In other words, why can't local workers or a lay group of volunteers do your project just as well?)
c. How will the local community jointly participate in this project? What guidance will they give? What resources will they bring to the effort?
d.How will the impact of the project be sustained by/with the local community?
4. ACADEMIC COURSES:
a. What two undergraduate courses will be offered?
b. How do these courses relate to your service work and/or setting?
c. What student learning outcomes do you intend to achieve through your program?** See potential SLOs below.
d. Is there a research component associated with the program? If so, please describe it.
5. CULTURAL COMPETENCY:How does your MOM program facilitate contact with and understanding of local people and their culture?
a. Will this program, inclusive of travel, lodging and project expenses, be done for less than $4,300 per student?
b. Are other (than Mercer On Mission) funding sources available?
c. Will graduate students be participating?If so, how and how many?
d. Will a scout trip be necessary? Please explain.
e. Will guest be traveling with the team? (Due to the extension responsibilites of leading a MOM program in the developing world, including guests who cannot function independently is strongly discouraged.)
**Potential SLOs drawn from QEP Rubric at the Explore level
The student will be able to…
1. Critically analyze multiple perspectives or theories about a relevant issue/problem faced by the host community.
2. Propose or assess solutions to the issue/problem using academic knowledge and scholarship.
3. Articulate ethical reasoning in proposing or assessing way one might address or alleviate the issue/problem.
4. Participate in implementing contextually relevant responses to the issue/problem using academic knowledge and scholarship.
5. Apply ethical reasoning in implementing service to address or alleviate the issue/problem.